Refinishing Floors Safely

As the Safety Maven of Wingdale notes, "The nice thing about working on floors is that you don’t have far to fall." Nonetheless, there are safety issues to consider when refinishing.

Electrical. Before renting sanders, examine their electrical cords and plugs, reject­ing any that are frayed or appear to have been sanded over. If you don’t have a heavy – duty extension cord, rent or buy one; lightweight household cords could overheat and start a fire. User’s manuals or labels on big sanders indicate minimum cord spec’s. Household circuits must be adequately sized for the equipment:

220-volt drum sanders often require 30-amp circuits; 110-volt sanders typically require 20-amp circuits. In most cases, a drum sander’s 30-amp plug will fit a home’s 30-amp dryer receptacle.

Volatile chemicals. Finish manufacturers have reduced the volatility and strong odors of their products, but you should always limit your exposure to them by wearing an organic-vapor respirator mask, long sleeves, and gloves when sanding old finishes or applying new ones. Even water-based polyurethane is unhealthful to breathe, so as soon as finishes are dry to the touch, open windows to let vapors disperse. And sleep elsewhere till they’re completely dry.

Fire and explosion hazards. Sparks or open flames can ignite chemical fumes or dust. So before you start sanding or applying finish, turn off pilot lights for water heaters, ranges, and furnace. Also tape light switches down so they can’t generate a spark. Trash bags of moist sawdust or covered garbage cans full of oily rags can gener­ate enough heat to combust spontaneously, so don’t allow debris to collect on site. Empty sander bags often into a metal container safely away from the house and other combustibles.

Lead paint and asbestos. Floors painted before 1978 may contain lead-based paints, so don’t sand them till you’ve had the paint tested, as suggested in Chapter 18. Lead paint is generally not a problem till it becomes airborne, unless it’s flaking in an area where small children might eat it. Old linoleum floors may have been adhered with asbestos adhesive, which wasn’t banned till 1977. Here again, asbestos is usually harmless if undisturbed, so first consult a local health department to get the name of a test lab.

Leave a reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>